Keeping Children safe: Safeguarding
At Gravenhurst Academy we are committed to safeguarding all children.
The person responsible for child protection (called the Designated safeguarding lead/person DSL/DSP) is Mrs Randall. The Deputy Safeguarding Lead is Mrs Beckett.
The key aspects of the role are:
* Making sure all staff are aware how to raise safeguarding concerns
* Ensuring all staff understand the symptoms of child abuse and neglect
* Referring any concerns to social care
* Monitoring children who are the subject of child protection plans
* Maintaining accurate and secure child protection records.
We follow the guidance called Keeping Children Safe in Education (September 2019) which sets out the role of the Designated Safeguarding Lead in Annex B. We work closely with all relevant professionals sharing information where necessary to safeguard children, including the Police who use a system called Relay to inform schools of any domestic incidents they are called to where children may be affected.
Should any Parent/Carer have any concerns about a child then please contact Mrs Randall via the office. In her absence Mrs Beckett will deputise in this role. Or contact the Central Bedfordshire Council social care Children’s team during office hours; Monday to Thursday(8:45am to 5:20pm), Friday (8:45am to 4:20pm) - 0300 300 8585
If you urgently need help outside office hours you can contact Bedfordshire Social Care on 0870 2385465/0300 300 8123 Bedford Borough Council - 01234 718700 (office hours) or ring 0300 300 8123 (out of hours). Bedfordshire Police Child Abuse Investigation Unit - 01234 846960 or 999 NSPCC - 0808 800 5000
Mrs Gillian Davies is our Safeguarding Governor. She monitors the work of the safeguarding lead on behalf of the Governing Body.
Useful Safeguarding Links For Parents
- Child Explotation and Online Protection: We have advice and links to support for online problems young people might face, such as cyberbullying and hacking. www.ceop.gov.uk
- NSPCC - The PANTS / Underwear rule: Guidance for parents on how to talk to your child about keeping themselves safe from sexual abuse. The PANTS rule
Samaritans:The Samaritans are there to help people explore options, understand problems or just be available to listen.www.samaritans.org
Childline (call 0800 1111) : Support and information for children if they are feeling scared or confused and need help. www.childline.org.uk
Young Carers: https://carers.org/